Monday, July 11, 2011

Student Profile: Dakota Fletcher, a rising star in the engineering world



Dakota Fletcher might have successfully finished his studies at Metropolitan Community College-Longview, but says the impression his experience at MCC left on him will last a lifetime.

Fletcher graduated from MCC-Longview this past spring with a degree in engineering. He now plans to take his education to the next level as he prepares to start classes at the Missouri University of Science and Technology.

"I knew I wanted to go into some engineering field," Fletcher said. "And everything I heard from school counselors and professors at S&T was that starting at Longview was going to best prepare me for the kind of success I wanted."



Beginning this fall Fletcher will start classes at the internationally renowned engineering university in Rolla, Mo. It is here he hopes to complete his engineering degree and then forge ahead with a master's degree in electrical engineering.

"Everyone kept telling me that students who started at Longview did as well if not better than those that spent all four years there," Fletcher said. "I think the time I spent here is going to give me a leg up."

Even before Fletcher started his two-year degree at MCC-Longview, he was tinkering with machines and electrical systems as a member of the nationally recognized Lee's Summit High School Robotics Team. Math and science, he said, just came easily.

The challenge, he said, was finding a way to push forward with his dreams of one day working as an engineer in the automotive field. One of the reason Fletcher chose S&T as his next step was the award-winning Formula SAE program there were students design and build their own racing automobiles and compete head-to-head against other colleges.

"I knew what I wanted to do," Fletcher said. "It was Longview that helped me find a way to do it."

To learn more about how MCC-Longview's engineering and transfer programs can help you pursue an engineering degree, go to www.mcckc.edu/longview or call 816.604.2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment