Monday, November 15, 2010

MCC-Blue River student making the most of college resources

Jacob Rockhold has been an MCC-Blue River student for three semesters and is eagerly anticipating graduation this December.

He generously credits Blue River’s academic adviser, Jenny Steen, for much of his collegiate success. “I owe her so much for her help," he says, “I go to her for absolutely everything." According to Rockhold, Steen has helped him apply for scholarships and navigate confusing transfer processes.

After graduation, he aspires to attend the University of Missouri at Columbia with hopes of earning a degree in turf management. Again, he shares his success to date with his academic advisor. “She has made me confident about my future.”

Rockhold has handled life’s challenges with optimism and resilience. “No matter what I have accomplished during my life, I have tried my best to succeed. I have to be positive and have confidence [in myself] to accomplish my goals.”

Rockhold has taken primary responsibility to finance his education himself and is proud of the self-reliance he has cultivated. “I have paid for my Blue River classes with A+, Board of Trustees scholarships, an athletic soccer scholarship, and working outside of school." Thanks to MCC’s resources and a lot of hard work, he’s proud to have covered the cost of his education without help from his parents.

Confident, equipped and assured, Rockhold welcomes the work required to realize his dream of one day managing a golf course. “I will continue to further my education and get one step closer to accomplishing my goal for success.”

No comments:

Post a Comment