Thursday, November 18, 2010

MCC-BTC Welding Student awarded $500 Scholarship


Carolyn Cassidy with welding program coordinator, Dr. Tim Gill

Carolyn Cassidy, recipient of the Edgar Jimenez Scholarship, wants to be an artist but she plans to be a welder first.

“My first attempt at welding was in my first welding class,” says Carolyn. “I had zero previous experience with welding – I had never held a welding gun until I got to MCC-BTC.” However, she has climbed to the top of the class.

“Carolyn is a great welder – she has a perfect combination of skill, patience, ambition, and the desire to learn,” says Dr. Tim Gill, welding program coordinator. “That’s why I encouraged her to apply for the Edgar Jimenez Scholarship.”

Carolyn is now $500 wealthier due to the donation and scholarship set up by MCC student, Edgar Jimenez. After retirement, Edgar has audited classes at MCC for the last 15 years. As token of his appreciation, Jimenez donated $500 for a scholarship to be awarded to a deserving student. This year that student is Carolyn Cassidy.

At age 20, Carolyn says she has always wanted to be an artist. “I was planning to go straight into art school, but my uncle, who is also a welder, encouraged me to take welding classes as a way to both create art and have a skill to fall back on,” says Carolyn.

“I would like to design and build large metal sculptures some day. The welding skills I am learning now will certainly be of use when I am out of school,” Carolyn says.

After finishing her A.A.S. degree in Welding and Management, Carolyn plans to transfer to a 4-year school to work on a bachelor’s degree in art.


For more information about the new A.A.S. degree in Welding and Management click here.

1 comment:

  1. Good Job Carolyn! We are so proud of you! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete